Monday, January 9, 2017

THE BYRDS: Mr. Tambourine Man / TURN! TURN! TURN!

THE BYRDS

 Mr. Tambourine Man  (alt.)

                                 
Mr. Tambourine Man
I'll Feel a Whole Better
The Reason Why   [Preflyte Sessions]
You Won't Have to Cry
Here Without You
The Bells of Rhymney
All I Really Want to Do   [The Complete A's and B's 1965-71]
For Me Again     [Echoes]
It's No Use
Don't Doubt Yourself, Babe
You Showed Me    [Preflyte Sessions]
Chimes of Freedom

BONUS 
I Knew I'd Want You
Spanish Harlem Incident
We'll Meet Again
                                 You and Me (instrumental)    [MTM CD re-issue]
All I Really Want to Do  
                               She Has a Way   [MTM CD re-issue]
                                            (w/ Jackie DeShannon)  Splendor in the Grass*   [Where The Action Is]
      

------------------------
The Byrds' 1965 debut LP, Mr. Tambourine Man, is a classic. Many would say the album needs "She Has a Way" (outtake) as a 13th track (which is now available on the Columbia Records' CD re-issue). My aim is to re-do the entire discography including best-of collections and some 'imagined' LPs along the way. Having said that, I would remove "I Knew I'd Want You" (already released as the b-side to "Tambourine Man") and use another of the late great Gene Clark's songs that was left unused--"For Me Again". It's a great tune, and its placement after the 45 version of "All I Really Want to Do" really helps the flow of both LP sides. Special thanks to ernestmannerisms for the updated covers and this mix I've decided to use for the Mr. Tambourine Man LP.



                                              TURN! TURN! TURN!  (alt.)

                               The Times They are A-Changin'*   [Cancelled Flytes]
It Won't Be Wrong
Set You Free this Time
He Was a Friend of Mine
Lay Down Your Weary Tune
The World Turns All Around Her
                                    It's All Over Now, Baby Blue   [TTT CD reissue]
                                She Has a Way*  [Cancelled Flytes]
                   The Airport Song     [Preflyte]
    If You're Gone     
Satisfied Mind   
                        Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There is a Season)

BONUS 
Wait and See
The Times They are A-Changin'
Oh! Susannah
                         Stranger in a Strange Land  (instrumental)    [TTT  CD reissue]
The Times They are A-Changin'**  [Shindig! TV performance]
Flower Bomb Song (instrumental)*   [bootleg]  
(with Hamilton Camp)  The Times They are A-Changin'*   [60's Transition compilation]
(with Smash Addams)  Stranger in a Strange Land**   [FOAP --bonus disc]
----------------------------------------------

This LP has been criticized by none other than McGuinn himself for the pacing on side B (otherwise, it's a great listen). Considering the fact superior compositions like "She Don't Care About Time" (seemingly already relegated to b-side status), "She Has a Way"--and curiously--the Crosby sung "The Airport Song" (released years later on Preflyte) were left in outtake limbo for the likes of "Wait and See" and "Oh! Susannah" (an 'in-joke' between McGuinn and Dylan which the former admits wasn't executed properly), I think I'm not the only fan to agree this could've been better for LP #2. The rejected 45 versions of "The Times They are A-Changin'" and "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" were already in the can; the group also cut three songs sung by Crosby including his first two original compositions ("Flower Bomb Song" and "Stranger in a Strange Land") and a song by his friend Dino Valenti ("I Don't Ever Want to Spoil Your Party", subsequently released by Quicksilver Messenger Service).  Crosby's tunes didn't make the cut--so, it's only fair to include the underrated "Airport Song" with its laid back air and Clark's plaintive harmonica in the background. In the interest of making things flow better---or just cos I tire of hearing it start the LP--the title cut, "Turn, Turn, Turn", is moved to the end of side B while the band's first and best version of "Times are A-Changin'" kicks things off on side A. 

Spotify link: Turn! Turn! Turn! (alt.)

5 comments:

  1. The Day Walk belongs on this LP, as it was cut at the time. While your choice of titles is interesting, using material from different lps doesn't work ( at least in my opinion ), sonically or otherwise. While I disagree with some of the choices made at the time, I think each album can be dramatically improved by using outtakes from the particular lps. TTT with She Dont' Care, Baby Blue, The Day Wal : Fifth Dimension with Why, I Know My Rider, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they left some good stuff on the cutting room floor at the time. I would've included "The Day Walk" but I felt I gave GC plenty of material. I listen to these playlists how I enjoy it best. MP3 Gain and programs like Audacity (as you know) can certainly help close that 'gap' in sonic consistency--but I respect yer opinion. Big fan of your works. Thank you for contributing to the discussion and I hope you will continue to do so in the future :) I will certainly keep checking yer blog. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple follow up comments I forgot. I don't think "Times...", in any version, was one of their better efforts; I don't have it on my version. I really like the way you placed TTT at the end of the lp : it's ingenius. It makes a very strong finish to the lp, and leaves the listener with something to ponder. Well done there !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, good sir! Yes, I found myself skipping the title cut everytime I played this in the car. Great song, of course. I think Forrest Gump probably played it out for me, lol. By the time I get to the end of my mix I am totally ready to embrace TTT, lol. I also cut my own vocals to "Stranger in a Strange Land". Tell me what ya think! Thanks for checking out the page.

    https://soundcloud.com/smash-addams/stranger-in-a-strange-land

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Melcher missed the boat on MTM , by not including For Me Again and You Showed Me, the latter which would have made a great 45. I've personally never liked All I Really Want To Do, and I could do without Spanish Harlem as well. It's too bad more of the Gene Clark compositions from World Pacific weren't used, either on this album or latter. The Airport Song should have been used as well : a fine Crosby vocal. As you have it, it would have worked nicely on TTT.

    ReplyDelete

LUCY DAWN, 'Lost Thoughts in Every Direction' [re-imagined LP]

Newly remastered tracks from the original 2016 album 'WRONG IN EVERY DIRECTION' with selections from the 2017 album, 'LOST THOUG...